Battleborn tells the story of an unlikely band of heroes and mercenaries who are forced to band together to protect Solus, the last solar system in the universe, from a mysterious enemy known as the Varelsi. 25 heroes combined from 5 different factions can be played, each with unique abilities and mannerisms, and can upgrade their abilities in real-time within each match.
5 players team up to fight AI-controlled enemies, including a few bosses, in levels that advance the main storyline of Battleborn. At least 8 missions are playable, with more to come as DLC.
2 teams of 5 players apiece fight against each other in various modes for dominance.
- Incursion: Teams must escort their AI-controlled minions to help destroy their enemy's base while defending their own from a similar attack.
- Capture: A fast-paced team deathmatch style mode where heroes must capture and hold specific objectives to win.
- Meltdown: Teams must escort their minions as they march towards a grinder, while preventing their opponents from doing the same.
Last Light Consortium (LLC)
The biggest robotics manufacturer that still exists in the galaxy, driven mainly by the pursuit of profit with multiple cyborgs in its employ.
- El Dragón: A famous luchador who ruled the LLC pro wrestling circuit until ISIC literally ripped off his arms. Had them replaced with cybernetic ones.
- ISIC: The former head manufacturing Magnus of Minion Robotics who attempted to destroy the universe himself with incredibly complex code. Kleese managed to stop him, but he is still considered a dangerous and annoying threat.
- Kleese: Former director of Minion Robotics who serves as the chief mad scientist for the Battleborn. Rides a "Battle Throne" he designed into battle.
- Marquis d'Caliber: A posh, sophisticated cyborg and former robo-butler to Phoebe who went crazy after losing his connection to LLC's governing AI.
- Phoebe: A former engineer with LLC and a master in the dangerous art of "Sword Puppetry," wielding five blades at once.
An order of space elves, scientists, and other observers who seek to protect the natural order of the universe, nearly driven to extinction by the Varelsi.
- Boldur: A crude, dwarfish native of Ekkunar who wields a runed axe and shield in battle.
- Kelvin: A strange collection of multiple microorganisms rescued by Miko, capable of freezing enemies.
- Mellka: Trained by the "Vigilant," a sort of Eldrid special ops team, Mellka fights with a machine gun and a shapeshifting gauntlet fused with her left hand.
- Miko: A large mushroom-person that heals its friends and throws poisoned kunai at its enemies.
- Thorn: The last child born on her planet before the Varelsi consumed it. She fights with bow and arrow and seeks revenge.
Unaffiliated free peoples who make their home far away from the other factions, but events conspire to band them together to save Solus.
- Shayne & Aurox
- Whiskey Foxtrot
United Peacekeeping Republics (UPR)
The former ruling body of the galaxy, crippled by the secession of the LLC and the encroaching threat of the Varelsi. A federation without a true home, they still fight to preserve what's left of their ideals of freedom, security and equality.
- Oscar Mike
One of the first factions to take up the fight against the Varelsi, until the evil warlord Lothar Randain staged a coup and aligned the Jennerit with the Varelsi to avoid being consumed. The ones that stayed loyal against Randain continue to fight for Solus.