Streets of Rage 4
- Release Date
Guard Crush Games
Streets of Rage 4 (known in Japan as Bare Knuckle IV) is a 2D belt-scrolling brawler developed by DotEmu, Lizardcube, and Guard Crush Games and published digitally by DotEmu (Yooreka Studio in China) for the Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, and PC on April 30, 2020. The PS4 and Switch versions also received a limited physical release by Limited Run.
The fourth installment of Sega's Streets of Rage series (and released 16 years after Streets of Rage 3), Streets of Rage 4 features a new game engine (based on Guard Crush Games' previous indie game Streets of Fury) and high-definition hand-drawn graphics (similar to Lizardcube's previous game Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap). While most of the game plays similarly to the original trilogy, it includes new gameplay mechanics (such as an updated combo system, situational health regeneration after performing special attacks, and a new Stage-based scoring system). In addition to two-player online multiplayer, the game introduces four-player local multiplayer to the series.
Set 10 years after the fall of criminal mastermind Mr. X's syndicate, the story involves a new crime syndicate mysteriously corrupting Wood Oak City, led by Mr. X's own children (the "Y Twins", Mr. Y and Ms. Y). Joining former cops Axel Stone and Blaze Fielding in their investigation are guitarist Cherry Hunter (the daughter of their old friend Adam) and mason Flyoid Iraia (a cyborg apprentice of the scientist Dr. Zan).
Similar to Streets of Rage 3, only four characters are playable from the start, with additional ones being unlockable. All character appearances from Streets of Rage and Streets of Rage 2, as well as most appearances from Streets of Rage 3, are unlockable for use, each with their original pixel art graphics and original audio.
- Axel Stone is a martial artist who retired from the police force and began living an isolated life in the wilderness after the fall of Mr. X, only to be brought back to fight the new syndicate after a call from Blaze. His retro appearances (from all three original games) are unlockable.
- Blaze Fielding is a dance instructor who was dishonorably discharged from the police force sometime after the fall of Mr. X (for refusing to take anger management classes). Her habit of getting into street brawls gave her insight of a new crime syndicate. Her retro appearances (from all three original games) are unlockable.
- Cherry Hunter, daughter of decorated police officer Adam Hunter, is a guitarist who plays electro progressive rock in some of the most dangerous parts of the city. When Blaze called Adam for help against the new syndicate, Cherry went in his stead. She serves as the "agile" character of the four, sacrificing her damage output for quick strikes and fast movement, and is the only one of the four who is able to run.
- Floyd Iraia is a mason who lost both of his arms in a horrible work accident, only to build new cybernetic ones with the help of brilliant scientist Dr. Gilbert Zan. When Blaze called Dr. Zan for help against the new syndicate, Flyod went in his stead. He serves as the "grappler" character of the four, sacrificing his movement speed for powerful strikes and grapples.
- Adam Hunter is a police officer who became an agent with the Special Investigation Forces after the fall of Mr. X. Tasked with infiltrating crime organizations in the shadows, he waits for the right time to strike. He is unlocked after completing Stage 4, and his original SOR1 appearance is also unlockable.
- Skate Hunter, Max Thunder, Dr. Gilbert Zan, and Shiva are unlockable in their retro appearances (SOR2 for Skate and Max, SOR3 for Skate, Dr. Zan, and Shiva).
|PC Minimum||PC Recommended|
- Operating System: Windows 7
- Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 | AMD Phenom II X4 965
- Memory: 4 GB RAM
- Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 | AMD Radeon HD 6670
- Storage: 8 GB available space
- Operating System: Windows 7+
- Processor: Intel i5+
- Memory: 8 GB RAM
- Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 960 / Radeon HD 5750 or better
- Storage: 10 GB available space
- Streets of Rage 4 Official Site